#1 Michele Sykes

Michele Sykes

New Poster

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

Hello Colleagues,

I am reaching out to ask if anyone has ideas on how they may deliver labs via distance.  Red River College is trying to start some planning for the fall that may involve some labs being delivered on campus and others online where possible.  Any thoughts or creative ideas?  Anyone using Labster as a resource?  I have managed to find some good molecular related virtual labs for free but struggling with Clinical Chemistry.

#2 KalwinderR

KalwinderR

New Poster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:35 PM

Hi everyone and thank you so much for starting this discussion Michele!

I hope you are all doing well in the new virtual world.

In regards to the questions asked. I haven't used labster.

We are starting to plan for September with many unknowns. Not sure if there be some live in-person labs? For now we are hoping to film some videos to demonstrate the Transfusion Science techniques. We are also hoping to give students a package of items to practice with at home. transfer pipets, tubes, etc. Hopefully that will provide some practice.  

#3 MadisonS

MadisonS

New Poster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

Hello! 

Sask Polytech is moving towards virtual learning as well! We are going to be requested approval for essential labs only. One thing that I thought might be useful is to create an image bank across all lab programs in the country? We have many lab images, as I'm sure others do too! Having a common bank of good quality images without having to search the creative commons would be nice. 

For microbiology labs, we have converted a few labs online by creating "unknowns" for the students to ID based off photos. We have also created a pdf fillable form that acts as a sort-of worksheet for students to fill out. I will share this during the educator webex that Michele has set up for next Monday, June 8th!

Madi

#4 AndreaL

AndreaL

Administrator

• Administrator
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:08 PM

There are a few different sites that help with virtual labs. Virtual Biology Lab, Online Education Program, Connect Virtual Labs, and LabBench Activities by Pearson. This is by no means an exhaustive list as there are many others which may help bring the labs to the students. 

A link that I found interesting was www.iworx.com.  - although this is a physiology lab set-up; they can customize to what your students require. 

#5 KartikD

KartikD

Administrator

• Administrator
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:21 PM

There are also Online collaboration tools that can facilitate online learning. You can find some links here 

Attached Files

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users